23 February 2009

The HD Social Media Wedding

















Nothing is better than hearing from an old friend getting married, than learning they plan on doing a Social Media Wedding. I wouldn't expect anything less for Hillary and Dan (the HD). Hillary is an incredible designer, mother of two, cancer survivor, and is rethinking "wedding" for the 21st century.

The Process:

"I posted a Craig's List Quandry asking people with apartments, condos, or business buildings downtown if we could rent their rooftop for a wedding. I emailed friends and family. I IMed my friends. I posted the link on Facebook. I started getting responses! After a few leads that didn’t pan out, I got a link to an article in the Kansas City Star from a friend on Twitter about a community park being built on the roof of the parking garage next to the new Cosentino’s Market downtown."

"I called the journalist who wrote the article and the Marketing Director for Cordish who manages the park. And then I realized what I was doing. I was using my mad social networking skills to plan my wedding my way with help from some very nice people on the Interwebs. So this blog is all about how Dan and I are bucking the system to make this occasion our very own, using help from our friends, family, and online community...."

Communication plays a much bigger role. The process becomes transparent with participants (wedding guests) supporting the newly weds with more than new blenders and coffee pots. The process is open, allowing for evolution, flexibility and great ideas.

The site:

No better place for a Social Media Wedding than on a rooftop in downtown Kansas City. A newly developed city park is about to be completed on top of a downtown parking garage.

“...We could have had parking on the roof,” Stephens said. “We saw this not just as a public area but an environmental piece to the development. When you have all this dense development that draws millions of people, you need some private, quiet space, too...”

"...The park features a half-acre of turf. Another half-acre is made up of environmentally friendly sedum plants. There are benches and trees along two sides, and additional landscaping is in the works..."

The event:

Hillary explains in the blog: "I want to have an upload station for people to upload their pics/video on the spot..." and asks her social network on ways to make it all happen.

"...Also, I want a photobooth-type situation, with a really cool vintage couch and props for people to experiment with in taking their pictures..." ask and you shall receive - create your own reality (thru virtual interface) ?

I will be shadowing and helping in anyway I can in this event and post updates on the process here.

1. What is the greater impact of utilizing social media in the creation of an event? The extent of information is more vast and more accessible. The network of people, ideas and resources is also greatly expanded offering a greater adapability to success.

2. Multi-programmatic actions can become less bounded. Site offers new opportunities: guest view and entertainment is provided by Kansas City and the annual fireworks display scheduled for that night. Parking is a no brainer, and ADA accessibilty via elevator and ramps is in place.

3. How can the event itself take on the elements of the site? Food: what opportunities are within reach? community gardens, local produce/chefs? What other opportunites can the site lend? access to live music? bands...music.

4. Decorations: can the wedding party bring and plant flowers for the occasion...at once adding value to the event, while investing in the space when they are gone the next day?

Twittering Celebrities Take Fans Backstage in Their Lives

No comments: